The purpose of writing a university essay is to explore the subject and expand your knowledge as well as to get the best marks possible. When writing a university essay it is important to understand what the professor is looking for since it is he/she who gives the marks.
Professor’s requirements when writing a university essay
When writing a university essay do note that the professor is probably looking for the following:
- show that you have understood the subject
- show that you can do independent research
- show that you are aware of different, sometimes conflicting, opinions on the topic
- show that you have the capability of developing opinions of your own
It is important to note that even though the professor knows the background, you should include it in your essay to show that you know the subject and have understood the class material.
Guidelines for writing the university essay
The topic or question for writing the university essay would usually be supplied. The general idea is that the next step in writing the university essay is to begin researching immediately but the following steps are recommended before the research is begun.
- It is important to understand the question. Look for words that provide the direction. For example, “analyze” would mean that the topic needs to be broken down while “discuss” implies that several opinions on the topic need to be evaluated.
- When writing a university essay, define the terms that you are planning to use not only for the reader but for yourself.
- Study the historical background. Do not assume that the reader would know the background facts or theories.
- Break the topic or question into chunks e.g. if the topic is to write on “SOA in Web 2.0 infrastructure”, there are three aspects to study: SOA, Web 2.0 and infrastructure. However, the topic also suggests that SOA may be possible in other infrastructures, so that could form another chunk.
- When writing a university essay form a thesis statement that will link all these chunks into a logical argument.
- Research the library, organizing your points in terms of the chunks you have put together.
Learn the Basic Essay Writing Rules
In writing an essay there are certain essay writing rules that you need to follow for you to have the best essay that you can be proud of. These are the essay writing rules that you need to follow for you to have a good essay. Here are some of the essay writing rules that you can follow for you to have the best essay that you can write.
- The first of the essay writing rules is to write an outline for your essay. The outline should present an overview of the whole essay that you are writing about.
- The next rule that you need to remember is knowing who your readers are and have an idea of what topic are you going to write about. This is one of the important essay writing rules that you need to follow so that you can have the perfect choice of a topic for your essay that will surely suit your target readers.
- Another thing that you need to remember in writing essays is the parts of the essay. One of the essay writing rules is to know the different parts: the introduction, the body and the conclusion. This will allow you to have a well written essay.
- The next of the essay writing rules that you can make use of is having an idea of what to write. Thus it is important that you do researches and see how you can create a well researched essay.
The final part in any essay writing is editing and proofreading. The 5 best academic editing services can be found here: https://depapers.com/academic-editing-services.html
These are just the basic essay writing rules that you can follow so that you can write a good one. Following these essay writing rules will help you write an essay like a pro.